Thursday, September 01, 2005

Abstinence Only...Is a Bunch of Crap

Don't get me wrong, I completely believe that high school kids are not ready for the responsibilities that come with sex and should not be having it. But they are. Teaching kids cohesive sex ed will not increase the number of kids doing it, in fact I am pretty sure it will have the opposite effect. Sex ed scared me so much (I think I had it five years in a row) when it came to diseases and pregnancy that I knew there was no way in hell I was going to sleep with someone in high school. And I didn't. Watching a special about the teen pregnancy epidemic in rural areas of Texas (with abstinence only sex ed programs of course) brought to light a very good analogy for this situation. As teens were advocating the implementation of a sex ed class that did more than say "don't do it" parents argued that it would be like a big, green go light that it was okay for kids to have sex. One of the students advocating for the program said, "We teach people about what to do if there is a fire, it doesn't make them go out and light them."

It is time for people to get a grip. Kids have sex. They are too young, they aren't emotionally ready, but adults telling them that condems don't work isn't helping anybody. Just ask those teen moms in Ohio or Texas...

And a big part of any sex ed class is that abstinence is the only way to protect yourself 100% against pregnancy and disease, so it isn't like those teaching the class are telling students the best ways to do it.

5 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Annie said...

Now I have to delete these crap advertisement comments - anybody tell me how to do that word verification thingy?

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger MezzoDragon said...

Jaye has it-and he told me how to figure out links in the sidebar! Now all I need to do is figure out how to make links show up in the middle of posts with those neat litte highlighted titles. :)

As far as sex goes, no one is really mature enough the first time they do it. And you can't stop kids from having sex. The only thing you can do is make sure they are smart about it. I wonder how many of those people, who are against comprehensive sex ed, got involved in a teenage pregnancy when they were in High School????

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Shan'Chelle said...

Word verification is in your settings option under comments. As far 100% Abstinence I think you should read my comments on this blog.

By the way Mezzo, the way you do a link is like this (insert the <> symbol in exchange for ()in my code)

(a href="http://yoursitenamehere.com")Description word(/a)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home