Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Married @ 12

Yesterday my roommate and I were discussing how we both have had absolutely nothing interesting/important to post to our blogs. No one wants to hear the inane details of my everyday life all the time and I understand that. So I have been trying to come up with something important to address and i think that the best i can do is discuss a People Magazine article my roommate pointed out to me last night.

This is one of those "I can't believe people still do this stuff" types of articles. It is the love story of a 14 year old girl and a 22 year boy who are married and have a baby. The adorable couple began to date at the tender ages of 12 and 20. While the girl's mother forbid it, the boy's parents apparently saw nothing wrong with their sons actions and even let the couple spend the night at their home where they engaged in what the government likes to call "statutory rape" on each occasion. Once the darling girl was pregnant her lover whisked her across the border to Kansas, where girls as young as 12 can be married, and made her his wife. As she begins her freshman year of high school as a wife and mother, her husband is awaiting prosecution for committing statutory rape - and they live still live with his parents.

This raises a number of important issues - like who in the hell is getting married at 12 and why is there only an age set for girls? Can a 7 year old boy "take a wife?"

But it also just makes you wonder what she'll be like as a 30 year old grandma and a 45 year old great grandmother...if the cycle repeats itself, which somehow, I think it will...

1 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger Shan'Chelle said...

Oh mi gosh, I can't believe I have been so out of it that I missed so much. Then again how sad is it that I am catching up on my blogging on a Friday night? As for this post I just have to shake my head. I have relatives this could relate to. I personally think it is a southern/midwestern republican ploy to keep women subservient but I may be biased ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home